Monday, May 24, 2010

The desire to be better...

The affiliate team tryouts were a great experience.  Gave me some great perspective and identified where my training needs improve.  I am pretty good at body weight stuff, chippers, and Olympic lifting but I am week in running and rowing.  I need to improve those areas.  Need to train them harder and become more efficient at these.  Great....How do I do that?

I have been dwelling on this for a week to no end.  I need to be better, I need to improve, I need to better myself.  The problem is I am not sure I know exactly how to become a better rower or a better runner.  I am sure like most things in Crossfit it is just working at it but there are some inherent problems with just working at it.  Let's look at a few:

# 1:  How do I fit this extra training into an already busy schedule and still maintain an effective amount of rest?
#2:  How do I overcome some basic structural hurdles that comes with a small frame?
#3:  Where do I find a training program, schedule, or method that will actually work?
and #4:  Will all this training actually pay off, will it get me the results I want?

I don't want to sound like a pessimist but those are some serious hurdles to cross.  Let's see if there are some answers.  The first problem isn't really a problem.  I have a rest day twice a week.  I can exchange the rest days for endurance training.  Do this for about 3 weeks at a time and then follow with a rest week from the endurance training. 

Next problem being of small stature.  Well I can't change that unless I get shin implants and that's not going to happen and it would probably make the problem worse.  This is where just working at these challenges is the answer.  I just need to train the run and the row and make them as efficient as possible.  Push my training so hard that any amount of running or rowing in a WOD will be no big deal.

Training programs, schedules, and methods for the endurance challenges can easily be answered by going to the http://www.crossfitendurance.com/ website.  They have daily endurance planning and WOD's designed to improve these areas.  I will tackle these when possible. 

Problem number 4 is not a problem if I stick to the 3 answers and goals above.  The training will pay off and I will become a better rower and runner.  This does not mean that I am going to be the best runner or rower in the box but I will be better than I am now. 

Sometimes during our training we hit walls that seem too difficult to get over.  The challenge seems to be impossible.  It may be a certain PR that you want to hit or a skill that you want to do but you cannot master it...how to do you get past these problem.  First look at your goal... is it realistic.  I sure as heck would love to clean 300lbs but it is not going to happen any time in the near future.  It will only come with a ton of work and perfecting my technique.  SET REALISTIC GOALS.  Set goals that you can obtain and which will be steps forward towards you ultimate goal. 

Second look at your mental attitude towards it.  Has the PR or skill become toxic to your work ethic or your training focus.  If the PR or skill has negatively effected your metcons or training you need to ditch it.  Stop putting so much energy into it.  Step away from it, train and focus on other PR's or skills and then return to original PR or skill when you have fresh and positive mental energy and focus. 

Third assess your actual physical training.  Is your training actually helping you attain this PR or skill.  If you want to squat 400lbs but all you are training is shoulder press or pull ups your training is not beneficial to attaining your goals.  Understand what your end result needs to be and the steps it will take to get there.  Train the squat, train the clean, and work WOD's that will focus effort into your legs and back. 

Most of all never give up.  Understand that you will hit walls during you training.  You will have great days and you will have terrible days.  You will have days where all you want to do is give up.  You will have days where your goal will be just within reach.  Step back and reflect.  Consistency and perseverance will get you what you want.  It is not the good day or the great feeling it is the discipline in your training.  Suffer through the tough days and soak up the great days but always keep your mental focus and attitude where it needs to be.  Set small goals that you can achieve.  With each small goal you achieve you will get closer and closer to your ultimate goal.  With each milestone that you achieve you will be adding positive energy to your focus and will build up your confidence.

There is always a way to be better and to improve yourself.  It will come time and dedication.  Make every lift, rep, and WOD count.  Get after it and go 100%. 

"Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working.”
-Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment