Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Your weakness is your key to success...

It may seem strange to think that a weakness could be the key to your success but it absolutely can. As Crossfitters we know that there is always the chance that a weakness will show up in a WOD.  What would you do if you are at the games and your weakness showed up?  Most people would loose their confidence and their focus and concentration for the WOD is gone.  How do we combat this?

TRAIN YOUR WEAKNESS! 

That is how you combat the crippling domino effect of a weakness showing up in a WOD.  Crossfit would not be what it is if you could only do WOD's full of skills that you are good at.  We all know those people in our Box that only show up on days where the WOD works in their favor.  This may give these people a sense of superiority.  This may also make up for a weakness in their work ethic.  Whatever it may be I don't want to train around you.

I have a very difficult time with rowing and know that every time there is a rowing component to a WOD I know that I am going to suffer through it.  This does not mean that I avoid the row...it means I attack the row and give it all I have even if it destroys me.  I am not afraid to admit that rowing is hard for me or that I have weaknesses...I believe it makes me a more honest and better Crossfitter. 

I applaud the Crossfitter that attacks their weakness.  I am impressed with their drive to train hard, find ways to improve, and to never give up.  This warrior spirit to never give up will carry an athlete farther than simply being good a small skill set.  Man/Woman up and work your weakness.  It will be hard, painful, and extremely difficult but it must be done.  The results of training your weakness will be unimaginable...you will find your level of fitness and ability as an athlete increased to levels you did not know you could achieve.

Tonight was an amazing night at Windy City Crossfit.  I took part in the Olympic Lifting class that meets on Tuesday/Thursday nights and Saturday afternoons.  This class has a strong focus on the Olympic lifts and heavy weighted metcons.
Tonight during the oly strength portion we attacked three lifts: the snatch, the clean and jerk, and the squat.  You read that right 3 massive lifts in one night.  I had a smile on my face the entire time.

The snatch was 3 sets of 2 at 70% of your 1rm (145lbs) then 1 set of 1 at 70% of your 1rm.
The clean and jerk was 3 sets of 2 at 70% of your 1rm (185lbs) then 1 set of 1 at 70% of your 1rm
The back squat was last and it was 4 sets of 2 at 80% of your 1rm (285lbs).

Next for the metcon.
15-12-9
2 for 1 wallball at 20# (2 squats for every 1 wall ball shot, squat then throw and squat again before the catch). 
American kettle bell swings at 32kg (70.4lbs)

I completed this in 4:40mins.
I was spent and it felt great.  Training hard and pushing through the tough times...it's what Crossfit is all about.

"Our strengths grow out of our weaknesses"
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment